Knowledgeable Legal Guidance In Minor In Possession Cases

Under New Jersey Statute 2C:33-15, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess or purchase alcohol in our state. A violation of this law, which is the same law that governs underage drinking, is referred to as minor in possession, or MIP. If you are a young person who has been charged with MIP or a parent whose child is accused, reach out to an experienced lawyer for advice.

At the office of James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law, we represent young people in Morris County, Essex County, Somerset County and throughout the state who have been charged with MIP, underage drinking and related offenses. Under the leadership of attorney James M. Porfido, we fight hard to make sure a youthful mistake does not follow our clients into adulthood.

Talk to an experienced minor in possession lawyer in Morristown by calling 973-828-0811 or toll free 877-760-4138. You can also contact us online.

Exceptions To The MIP Rule

There are three exceptions to the rule that minors are not allowed to possess alcohol in New Jersey:

  • Adult family members: Minors are allowed to possess and consume alcohol on the property of an immediate adult family member with that family member's permission and in his or her presence. Note, minors who are not family members do not fit this exception.
  • Religious participation: Minors are allowed to possess and consume alcohol for the purpose of religious rites and ceremonies
  • Employment or education: Minors who work at restaurants or hotels that sell alcohol are allowed to possess alcohol at work. Similarly, minors who are enrolled in a culinary school or a hotel management program are allowed to possess. Note, minors are not allowed to consume alcohol under this exception.

Penalties For Minor In Possession

Under N.J.S.A. 2C:33-15, MIP is considered a disorderly persons offense. The minimum fine for a conviction is $500. If the offense was committed in a motor vehicle, then your driver's license will be suspended for six months. The judge may also require the minor to attend alcohol education classes.

Before you plead guilty to minor in possession charges, call the office of James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law. There may be ways to challenge the evidence and have the case dismissed.

Facing MIP Charges? Our New Jersey Attorney Can Help

If you or your child has been charged with minor in possession in Morris County, Essex County or anywhere in northern New Jersey, reach out to our firm for help. Call 973-828-0811 or toll free 877-760-4138. You can also send us an email and we will respond promptly.

Credit cards accepted • Payment plans available • Se habla español