Attorney James Porfido is a former prosecutor who now fights for the accused and is committed to helping individuals who face criminal charges. He brings over 30 years of legal experience and is certified by the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey. Contact us today we can help!
Fighting For Your Legal Rights in Morris County, New Jersey
Suppose you face criminal charges of a misdemeanor or a felony, an indictable criminal offense, or a disorderly person’s offense; your world can turn upside down.
Your job, your family life, and your freedom may be at risk.
At James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law, in Morristown, NJ, our law office brings more than 30 years of experience in the criminal justice system to your case.
Our Morristown criminal defense attorney is prepared to defend clients in criminal cases throughout the northwest and central New Jersey.
A criminal case in Morris County, NJ, can result from making an error, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or an example of mistaken identity.
When facing criminal charges, you can quickly sense that the entire system is working against you and that your case is hopeless.
However, this is not true in any criminal matter.
Therefore, hiring the proper Morristown criminal defense attorney can be a tremendous asset that benefits you in facing your criminal case and overcoming it confidently.
Providing Experienced Criminal Defense Representation to Clients Throughout Morristown, NJ
James M. Porfido is a former Section Chief of the Vehicular Homicide Unit and Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Unit in the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office.
He has extensive criminal trial experience. His knowledge of how the prosecution develops their criminal cases provides valuable insights that help him serve his Morris County clients on the defense, both in criminal trial and in negotiating the best possible outcome.
Certified Criminal Trial Attorneys in New Jersey
Since 1995, Defense Attorney James Porfido has been among a small percentage of lawyers in New Jersey.
Nevertheless, they are recognized as Certified Criminal Trial Attorneys by the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey.
This certification assures our clients that Mr. Porfido has distinguished himself from his colleagues by meeting the rigorous set of standards required to receive this certification.
With a comprehensive understanding of the criminal justice system and personal knowledge in local municipal and state courts of Morris County, NJ, Criminal Defense Attorney Mr. Porfido can effectively assert your rights and protect your interests in any criminal matter.
Your Morristown Defense Attorney Can Help
Facing any criminal charge in Morristown, NJ, can be highly challenging for you, whether you know you have broken the law or are dealing with wrongful accusations.
In any circumstances in which criminal prosecution and potential loss of your rights are on the line, it is crucial to have dedicated legal counsel on your side to defend your rights and provide due process as follows.
James Porfido, Attorney at Law, can provide the legal representation you need to face the New Jersey criminal court system.
What Does a Criminal Lawyer Do?
A criminal defense attorney plays a critical role in the legal system, providing legal representation and protection to individuals accused of committing crimes. Here's a comprehensive overview of what a criminal defense attorney does:
- Case Analysis: The attorney begins by thoroughly analyzing the facts of the case, including examining evidence, police reports, witness statements, and any available documentation. This analysis helps them understand the strengths and weaknesses of the case.
- Legal Research: Criminal defense attorneys conduct in-depth legal research to identify relevant statutes, precedents, and case law that can be applied to their client's case. This research forms the foundation for building a robust defense strategy.
- Defense Strategy: Based on their analysis and legal research, defense attorneys develop a strategic defense plan. This plan outlines the approach they will take to protect their client's rights and achieve the best possible outcome.
- Client Consultation: Attorneys provide counsel to their clients, explaining the legal process, potential consequences, and available possible.
- Negotiation: Defense attorneys engage in negotiations with the prosecution. They aim to reach favorable outcomes for their clients, which may include reducing charges, seeking alternative resolutions, or negotiating sentencing recommendations.
- Court Representation: If the case proceeds to trial, defense attorneys serve as strong advocates for their clients in the courtroom. They present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, and make legal arguments to defend their clients' innocence or minimize the severity of charges.
- Post-Conviction Services: Even after a conviction, the role of a defense attorney continues. They may assist with sentencing hearings, appeals, or efforts to have a conviction expunged from the client's record.
- Protection of Rights: Throughout the legal process, defense attorneys ensure that their clients' constitutional rights are protected. This includes safeguarding against illegal searches and seizures, ensuring the right to remain silent, and advocating for a fair trial.
In summary, a criminal defense attorney's role is multifaceted, encompassing legal expertise, strategic planning, advocacy, and support to protect their clients' rights and interests within the criminal justice system.
At James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law, LLC, in Morristown, we bring the requisite experience in and out of the courtroom to provide our clients the aggressive advocacy necessary to protect their rights in a wide range of criminal defense matters.
Our law office provides highly personalized legal guidance that seeks to either gain an acquittal, mitigate charges or minimize penalties. Every legal strategy is designed to suit the unique facts of each case and develops in close consort with each client.
Mr. Porfido has over 30 years of experience in criminal law. He is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Criminal Trial Attorney and was selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers from 2008 through 2017. He is a former prosecutor who now uses his system knowledge to defend clients charged with a wide range of crimes.
Your Advocate in And Out of the Courtroom
It is critical to secure legal counsel from a counselor in Morristown who has solid proficient experience handling cases like yours when facing criminal prosecution. James Porfido has years of experience representing clients in NJ on various criminal cases.
We are committed to helping individuals who face criminal charges.
- Protect your rights
- Minimize the impact on your daily lives
- Fight for best possible case outcomes and explore all defenses to achieve best results
- Prevent criminal charges or convictions from damaging future opportunities
“Mr. Porfido came highly recommended to me when I found myself in need of representation in Federal court. I was impressed by his legal skill & knowledge. It was also apparent to me through this process that he was highly respected by his peers.”- M.M.
“Mr. Porfido always followed up and answered my emails and calls no matter the time. He also showed great compassion and concern for me and my children through the whole case and even after.”- N.K.
“James is by far the best attorney I’ve worked and I have referred friends and family to the Porfido Law Firm for years. The staff is extra friendly and James helped my friend with his expungement which allowed him to get the job he wanted after colle”- R.M.
“I've used his services on two occasions and each time his entire staff was very helpful, professional and swift in handling my situation, I couldn't have asked for a better outcome and I absolutely highly recommend James!”- T.A.
“Great experience. Handles himself extremely well in front of the judge. Very knowledgeable and gets the job done. Would highly recommend him to my friends.”- J.R.
Each Client Receives Personalized Strategy
Over 30 Years of Legal Experience
Our Firm is Top-Rated & Award-Winning
Relentless Advocacy for All Clients