Minor in PossessionPut Our Winning Strategy to Work for You
Minor In Possession Of Alcohol Lawyers In Morris County, NJ
Under New Jersey Statute 2C:33-15, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess or purchase alcohol. A violation of this law, which is the same law that governs underage drinking, is referred to as minor in possession, or MIP. If you are a young person who has been charged with MIP, or a parent whose child has been accused of MIP, reach out to an experienced criminal defense lawyer for advice. At the office of James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law, we represent young people in Morris County, Essex County, Somerset County, and throughout the state. We regularly defend juveniles who have been charged with juvenile crimes like MIP, underage drinking, and related offenses. Under the leadership of attorney James M. Porfido, we fight hard to make sure that a youthful mistake does not follow our clients into adulthood. Talk to an experienced minor in possession lawyer in Morristown by calling us, or you can also contact us online.
Exceptions To The MIP Rule In New Jersey
There are three exceptions to the rule that minors are not allowed to possess alcohol in New Jersey:
- Adult family members: Minors are allowed to possess and consume alcohol on the property of an immediate adult family member with that family member’s permission and in his or her presence. Note, minors who are not family members do not fit this exception.
- Religious participation: Minors are allowed to possess and consume alcohol for the purpose of religious rites and ceremonies.
- Employment or education: Minors who work at restaurants or hotels that sell alcohol are allowed to possess alcohol at work. Similarly, minors who are enrolled in a culinary school or a hotel management program are allowed to possess alcohol. Note: minors are not allowed to consume alcohol under this exception.
Penalties For Minor In Possession In NJ
Under N.J.S.A. 2C:33-15, MIP is considered a disorderly persons offense. The minimum fine for a conviction is $500. If the offense was committed in a motor vehicle, then the offender’s driver’s license will be suspended for six months. The judge may also require the minor to attend alcohol education classes. Before your child pleads guilty to minor in possession charges, call the office of James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law. There may be ways to challenge the evidence and get the case dismissed.
Facing Minor In Possession Charges In Morris County, NJ? We Can Help
If your child has been charged with minor in possession in Morris County, Essex County, or anywhere in northern New Jersey, reach out to our firm for help. Contact us today and we will respond promptly. Credit cards accepted • Payment plans available • Se habla español
“Mr. Porfido came highly recommended to me when I found myself in need of representation in Federal court. I was impressed by his legal skill & knowledge. It was also apparent to me through this process that he was highly respected by his peers.”- M.M.
“Mr. Porfido always followed up and answered my emails and calls no matter the time. He also showed great compassion and concern for me and my children through the whole case and even after.”- N.K.
“James is by far the best attorney I’ve worked and I have referred friends and family to the Porfido Law Firm for years. The staff is extra friendly and James helped my friend with his expungement which allowed him to get the job he wanted after colle”- R.M.
“I've used his services on two occasions and each time his entire staff was very helpful, professional and swift in handling my situation, I couldn't have asked for a better outcome and I absolutely highly recommend James!”- T.A.
“Great experience. Handles himself extremely well in front of the judge. Very knowledgeable and gets the job done. Would highly recommend him to my friends.”- J.R.
We have worked both sides of criminal cases. We are committed to helping individuals who face criminal charges.
- Protect your rights
- Minimize the impact on your daily lives
- Fight for best possible case outcomes and explore all defenses to achieve best results
- Prevent criminal charges or convictions from damaging future opportunities
- For clients dealing with domestic violence, addiction and more, we will connect you with experts to ensure you get the help you need