Theft CrimesPut Our Winning Strategy to Work for You
Theft Crimes Lawyer In Morristown, NJ
Understand Your Legal Options If You Face Theft Charges In Morris County Or Beyond
Theft charges can result in serious penalties and fines, including jail time (see N.J.S.A. 2C:20-1 et seq. and 2C:20-11, et seq.). Whether you are under investigation for a misdemeanor (disorderly persons offense), an indictable felony, or a federal offense, it is critical that you consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney who has the resources, skills, and strategy to effectively challenge your case. James M. Porfido is a criminal defense attorney and Certified Criminal Trial Attorney, as Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, dedicated to the aggressive representation of clients facing theft and shoplifting charges.
Morris County, NJ Theft Crimes Defense Lawyer
The government is building a case against you even before you are charged. Take the necessary steps to protect your rights and defeat the charges against you. Contact James M. Porfido for an initial consultation and case evaluation.
Assembling Evidence For Your Defense Against Theft Charges In Morristown, NJ
Theft, embezzlement, fraud, and shoplifting cases are highly fact specific and require an intensive investigation. We will immediately begin collecting necessary evidence for your defense. We will consult with witnesses, review police reports, and take every necessary action to preserve evidence to build your defense.
Examples Of Theft Crimes In Morris County, New Jersey
We are experienced in criminal theft cases involving:
- Petty theft
- Ponzi schemes
- Bad checks
- Identity theft, ID theft, theft by deception
Consequences Of A Theft Crime Conviction In New Jersey
The penalties for theft depend on the value of the items stolen and other factors. For example:
- If the value of the items was under $200, you could be convicted of a disorderly persons offense (similar to a misdemeanor) and face jail time of up to six months and a fine of $1000.
- If the value of the items was between $200 and $500, you could be convicted of a fourth degree felony offense and face up to 18 months in jail and a fine of up to $10,000.
- If the value of the items was between $500 and $75,000, you could be convicted of a third degree offense and go to prison for three to five years and face a fine of $10,000.
- If the value of the items was over $75,000, you could be convicted of a second degree felony charge and face 5-10 years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.
- Other variables can influence the penalties. For example, the theft of an automobile of any value is a third degree felony. Even if the car was worth only $499, it would still be considered a third degree felony.
What is Considered “Grand Theft” in New Jersey?
In New Jersey, grand theft is a crime that is punishable by imprisonment. Under New Jersey law, grand theft occurs when a person takes property that belongs to someone else with the intent to deprive the owner of that property permanently.
The severity of the crime and the penalty that may be imposed depend on the value of the property that was stolen. Grand theft is typically charged as a third degree crime if the value of the property stolen is greater than $200 but less than $75,000, and as a second degree crime if the value of the property stolen is greater than $75,000.
If you have been charged with grand theft in New Jersey, it is important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible to ensure that your rights are protected.
Contact A Morris County Theft Crimes Defense Attorney Today!
If authorities are investigating you for any level of theft crime, you need strategic and aggressive defense. Many cases involve shopping mall theft, petty theft, or stealing involve juvenile defendants. If your child is facing charges for stealing, we can aggressively protect their legal rights and their future. We are also experienced in wrongful detention cases involving the holding of a juvenile or adult suspect. For more information about our services and experience, please call us or fill out our online contact form.
Credit cards accepted • Payment plans available • Se habla español
TestimonialsOpinions From Those Who Matter Most
“Mr. Porfido came highly recommended to me when I found myself in need of representation in Federal court. I was impressed by his legal skill & knowledge. It was also apparent to me through this process that he was highly respected by his peers.”- M.M.
“Mr. Porfido always followed up and answered my emails and calls no matter the time. He also showed great compassion and concern for me and my children through the whole case and even after.”- N.K.
“James is by far the best attorney I’ve worked and I have referred friends and family to the Porfido Law Firm for years. The staff is extra friendly and James helped my friend with his expungement which allowed him to get the job he wanted after colle”- R.M.
“I've used his services on two occasions and each time his entire staff was very helpful, professional and swift in handling my situation, I couldn't have asked for a better outcome and I absolutely highly recommend James!”- T.A.
“Great experience. Handles himself extremely well in front of the judge. Very knowledgeable and gets the job done. Would highly recommend him to my friends.”- J.R.
Contact Us Today
We have worked both sides of criminal cases. We are committed to helping individuals who face criminal charges.
- Protect your rights
- Minimize the impact on your daily lives
- Fight for best possible case outcomes and explore all defenses to achieve best results
- Prevent criminal charges or convictions from damaging future opportunities
- For clients dealing with domestic violence, addiction and more, we will connect you with experts to ensure you get the help you need