Money LaunderingPut Our Winning Strategy to Work for You
Morristown Money Laundering Lawyer
Experienced Defense Against Money Laundering Charges in New Jersey
Money laundering is a serious crime that is often charged in connection with other criminal offenses. If you are facing money laundering charges, it is important to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side. At the law firm of James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law, we have extensive experience handling complex criminal cases, including those involving money laundering. We are committed to protecting the rights of our clients and fighting for the best possible result on their behalf.
Call James Porfido, Attorney at Law, today at (973) 370-9788 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our money laundering attorney in Morristown.
What is Money Laundering?
Money laundering is considered a serious financial crime that involves concealing the origins of illegally acquired money, typically by means of transfers involving foreign banks or legitimate businesses. This process makes the money appear legitimate, obscuring its illicit source. In New Jersey, money laundering charges are often associated with various underlying criminal activities such as drug trafficking, fraud, or racketeering.
Money laundering typically involves three stages: placement, layering, and integration. Placement is the initial introduction of "dirty money" into the financial system. Layering involves separating the illicit funds from their source by complex transactions. Finally, integration is the process of bringing the now "cleaned" money back into the legitimate economy.
What are the Penalties for Money Laundering in New Jersey?
New Jersey has stringent laws to combat money laundering, and being convicted can result in severe consequences. The penalties vary depending on the amount of money involved and the level of sophistication of the money laundering operation.
- For instance, if the money laundering involves sums under $75,000, the charges may be classified as a third-degree crime, leading to a potential prison sentence of five years and significant fines.
- In cases where the amount exceeds $75,000 but is less than $500,000, the charges may escalate to a second-degree crime, carrying a prison term of five to ten years and heftier fines.
- For amounts surpassing $500,000, the crime may be categorized as a first-degree offense, with penalties that include up to 20 years of imprisonment and substantial fines.
Defenses Against Money Laundering Charges
Some common defenses against money laundering charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: Successfully defending against money laundering charges may involve proving that the accused lacked the requisite intent to commit the crime. Establishing that the financial transactions in question were conducted without knowledge of the funds' illicit origins is a crucial aspect of this defense.
- Insufficient Evidence: A thorough examination of the prosecution's evidence is essential. We can meticulously review financial records, transaction histories, and any other evidence to identify weaknesses or inconsistencies that can be leveraged to challenge the case.
- Procedural Errors: We can scrutinize the legal procedures followed during the investigation and arrest to identify any violations of the defendant's rights. Procedural errors can be powerful grounds for having evidence excluded or even getting the charges dismissed.
- Duress or Coercion: In some cases, individuals may be forced or coerced into participating in money laundering schemes. Demonstrating that the accused acted under duress or coercion can be a compelling defense strategy.
Contact Our Money Laundering Attorney in Morristown Today
When facing money laundering charges, the stakes are high, and a strong defense is crucial. At James Porfido, Attorney at Law, our Morristown money laundering lawyer is dedicated to providing strategic and effective representation. We will work tirelessly to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for your case. Your future is too important to entrust to anyone but the most experienced and dedicated legal professionals.
Contact James Porfido, Attorney at Law, today to get started with our Morristown money laundering lawyer.
“Mr. Porfido came highly recommended to me when I found myself in need of representation in Federal court. I was impressed by his legal skill & knowledge. It was also apparent to me through this process that he was highly respected by his peers.”- M.M.
“Mr. Porfido always followed up and answered my emails and calls no matter the time. He also showed great compassion and concern for me and my children through the whole case and even after.”- N.K.
“James is by far the best attorney I’ve worked and I have referred friends and family to the Porfido Law Firm for years. The staff is extra friendly and James helped my friend with his expungement which allowed him to get the job he wanted after colle”- R.M.
“I've used his services on two occasions and each time his entire staff was very helpful, professional and swift in handling my situation, I couldn't have asked for a better outcome and I absolutely highly recommend James!”- T.A.
“Great experience. Handles himself extremely well in front of the judge. Very knowledgeable and gets the job done. Would highly recommend him to my friends.”- J.R.
We have worked both sides of criminal cases. We are committed to helping individuals who face criminal charges.
- Protect your rights
- Minimize the impact on your daily lives
- Fight for best possible case outcomes and explore all defenses to achieve best results
- Prevent criminal charges or convictions from damaging future opportunities
- For clients dealing with domestic violence, addiction and more, we will connect you with experts to ensure you get the help you need