Free Consultation: 973.683.1140


Minor In Possession Of Alcohol Lawyers In Morris County, NJ

Under New Jersey Statute 2C:33-15, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess or purchase alcohol. A violation of this law, which is the same law that governs underage drinking, is referred to as minor in possession, or MIP. If you are a young person who has been charged with MIP, or a parent whose child has been accused of MIP, reach out to an experienced criminal defense lawyer for advice.

At the office of James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law, we represent young people in Morris County, Essex County, Somerset County, and throughout the state. We regularly defend juveniles who have been charged with juvenile crimes like MIP, underage drinking, and related offenses. Under the leadership of attorney James M. Porfido, we fight hard to make sure that a youthful mistake does not follow our clients into adulthood.

Talk to an experienced minor in possession lawyer in Morristown by calling us, or you can also contact us online.

Exceptions To The MIP Rule In New Jersey

There are three exceptions to the rule that minors are not allowed to possess alcohol in New Jersey:

  • Adult family members: Minors are allowed to possess and consume alcohol on the property of an immediate adult family member with that family member’s permission and in his or her presence. Note, minors who are not family members do not fit this exception.
  • Religious participation: Minors are allowed to possess and consume alcohol for the purpose of religious rites and ceremonies.
  • Employment or education: Minors who work at restaurants or hotels that sell alcohol are allowed to possess alcohol at work. Similarly, minors who are enrolled in a culinary school or a hotel management program are allowed to possess alcohol. Note: minors are not allowed to consume alcohol under this exception.

Penalties For Minor In Possession In NJ

Under N.J.S.A. 2C:33-15, MIP is considered a disorderly persons offense. The minimum fine for a conviction is $500. If the offense was committed in a motor vehicle, then the offender’s driver’s license will be suspended for six months. The judge may also require the minor to attend alcohol education classes.

Before your child pleads guilty to minor in possession charges, call the office of James M. Porfido, Attorney at Law. There may be ways to challenge the evidence and get the case dismissed.

Facing Minor In Possession Charges In Morris County, NJ? We Can Help

If your child has been charged with minor in possession in Morris County, Essex County, or anywhere in northern New Jersey, reach out to our firm for help. Call us today, or you can also send us an email and we will respond promptly.

Credit cards accepted • Payment plans available • Se habla español

Our Blog

  • New Jersey Legislators Seeking to Expand Convicted Felon Voting Rights

    One of the most negative consequences of being convicted of a crime is the fact that a criminal record and restricted freedoms will follow you for life. New Jersey legislators are currently looking to change that trend by expanding rights to convicted persons. This would restore voting rights to 94,000 residents across the state of […] Read More

  • Improper Vehicle Search Leads to Drug Evidence Being Tossed By New Jersey Supreme Court

    The collection of evidence is one of the most contentious issues involved in many criminal defense cases. Drugs that were found in a vehicle that led to 2015 arrest of two Lakewood individuals were allegedly obtained improperly. Supreme Court Throws Out Evidence in Criminal Case This is as a result of the New Jersey Supreme […] Read More

  • NJ Police Go After Child Pornography Offenders

    New Jersey is no stranger to sex crimes like child pornography and they have police dedicated to finding those committing such crimes. Sex Crimes in New Jersey   Just last year, an operation called “Operation Safety Net” resulted in 79 people being accused of owning and sharing child pornography or material showing children being sexually […] Read More

Superlawyers Certified

Thank you!

Someone from our office will contact you shortly.

My Client Reviews